Thursday, January 17, 2013

The LDS church is the "most progressive force for women in the world today"

This is a really short post, but I felt it was definitely worth sharing. A good friend of mine sent me this article that I will not even attempt to shorten because it can't do it justice. Valerie Hudson Cassler is a professor of political science at Texas A&M and wrote an article about how the LDS faith has taught her the importance of women. Here is a link to her fabulous article:

http://mormonscholarstestify.org/1718/valerie-hudson-cassler


I love the last of what she writes saying that spreading this doctrine is the "strongest, most progressive force for women in the world today". 
I completely agree with that statement having seen it first hand. In my time in Armenia, the most progressive families I ever met were solid, truly converted members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As Cassler states earlier in her article, Mormon culture can sometimes go amiss in the treatment of women, yet the doctrine is solid and ever pointing to the equality of men and women. And the case was never truer than in Armenia. There were about 4 solid families I met where I could feel the respect I had grown up under appreciating in the US. And every one of those families were families who attended church on Sundays, read their scriptures and invited the spirit of the Lord into their homes. As I visited with families not of the LDS faith, I sometimes felt the disrespect of women so bitterly, it was overwhelming. So right on Valerie Hudson Cassler (I love how you use all 3 names), right on!

No comments:

Post a Comment